Educate professionals at Bachelor’s degree level with a comprehensive preparation in theory and practical areas of geophysics, seismology and volcanology with the abilities and tools to analyze evaluate and propose solutions to earthquakes, seismic risks and natural resources prospection (mining, oil and water) related problems. Study geologic structures at a local and regional level, territorial ordering, environment and phreatic surface contamination and subsoil in general. Using computer tools like the Geographic Information System (SIG in Spanish) and state of the art technology with physical field measuring of the earth’s surface.
Being a national recognized program in Geophysicists education and research on phenomenon’s such as: seismic, volcanic risks and natural danger in Mexico.
- Taking advantage and knowing the terrestrial phenomenon’s mechanisms, the catastrophe provoking ones with the porpoise of building physic models.
- Linking geophysics engineering in an interdisciplinary way with other engineering branches and sciences to achieve the rational exploitation and the natural environment preservation.
- Participating in the search and exploitation of new subsoil energy resources.
- Provide the knowledge to contribute to the scientific progress on the geophysics field.
- Train students with analytical and computational methods, experimental technics that will allow them to develop in a scientific and working environment.
- Teach principles and ethical behavior on their professional career.
A person with appreciation for field work, natural phenomenon, mathematics, physics and chemistry, with abstraction and observation capabilities and logical analysis, teamwork, measurement equipment use, interest in natural dangers research and related risks; a social commitment to contribute with their knowledge in disaster reduction and land planning.
A Geophysics Engineer will have deep knowledge in the data interpretation of geophysics exploration, mineral resources evaluation, able to determine subsoil static and dynamic characteristics for construction, to use Geographic Information Systems, remote sensing techniques for exploitation, mining, oil, geotechnical, hydrogeology, seismology, environmental impact; identification of natural dangers and risks for disaster prevention.
Graduates can work in government institutions such as: Electric Federal Commission, National Seismologic Services, Mexican Oil, Disaster Prevention National Centre, Volcanology observatory, Energy Secretary, National Commission of Water, Secretary of environment, private consulting, etc.
The average time to finish is nine school cycles from the beginning and is a requirement to complete a minimum of 386 credits to get a diploma in addition to the corresponding social work.
Visit the Control Escolar’s website: www.escolar.udg.mx