To form ethical professionals with wide skills in analysis, design, modeling and control of biological systems, with the ability to research and develop innovative solutions to environmental problems.
To be a leader consolidated and certificated engineer, which graduates are high quality professionals who demonstrate the ability in multidisciplinary team work, and also the abilities and knowledge to set innovative solutions for their environmental problems based on science and technology. To help to create business companies of innovation and relevant research work for the sustainable development in our region and in the world.
To form specialized human resources in the Biological Systems Engineering, with knowledge in genomic technologies, proteomics, metabolomics, and computing, able to create and analyze biological systems, solve a wide needs’ spectrum from diagnostic tools, treatments and illness prevention likewise, the industrial synthesis of valuable components, materials design, develop of new devices, process and environmental sustainability.
The Biological systems engineering program looks further to offer students a scientific culture, technological and critical thinking thru a methodological training that prepares humans able to adapt and include scientific-technologic advances to their professional field.
Candidates must be, students with questioning spirit, interested in the sustainable development and nowadays problems solutions through a combination of engineering and biological sciences, motivated to the quantitate analysis, able to work in multidisciplinary and international teams, with the ability to abstract and logical reasoning, developed practical sense, able to create and innovate and also researching skills. Interested in informatics biology and quantitative model related areas. Also, he should be a student capable of doing programming and lab work.
The biological system engineer graduate stresses the knowledge application of engineering in study and creation of biological systems with useful and original properties. Able to know the structure principals and dynamic of the biological systems, the control methods to minimize the malfunction and increase optimization of designed methods of Systems, (to modify and build systems throughout simulators, without any empirical practice in situ) modifying and imitating the existent systems. That means, being able to do the design the manufacture of the biological systems, through the current principles and available technology.
The engineer in biological systems may develop in other fields as:
- The areas of engineering and manufacture associated to biological systems depending of simulation and modelling for the development of new products. The enterprises and the areas responsible of the management and shield of biological data in large scale resulting from modelling and biological system design, including those that analyze from a quantitative perspective, for its incorporation to different fields.
- Public and private research in bioprocesses and metabolic engineer to obtain different chemical products and biopolymers in an efficient way. Another interesting field in the biological systems engineering area, is sustainable energy.
- The companies in charge of computer program design and storing methods of biological system’s information. Including the companies in charge of equipment for protein engineering, cloning and DNA synthesis.
- The biotechnological and pharmaceutical companies in charge to develop biomedicine, and drugs , personalized genomic, genetic therapy, tissue repairing and regeneration, cellular reprogramming, exploitation of biological systems capable of doing nutritional functions by themselves, rapport, reproduction, agro-biotechnology, environmental biotechnology, etc. In concerned to the medical field, trained graduates are needed to identify all the parts and interactions of any physiological problems from a molecular perspective and also be able to manage the database that describe and model these systems. Design, production, enzyme distribution and bioengineer tools (plasmids, chains and expression systems) are useful in laboratories. Including also the record of biological parts, the creation of database and software design, reduction of synthesis costs, streamlining of product verification costs, technique design for the removal of unwanted parts of the system through new methods (quality improvement).
- Consultancy in efficient and economic solutions addressed to engineering issues according to Biological Systems.
Duration of the career
The suggested path to take the learning units results in a 4 year length program, considering the credit system, the students will get an 8 year maximum, from the entry, to obtain the expected degree.
Visit the Control Escolar’s website: www.escolar.udg.mx